V ä v a! V e v e! weaving cloth one thread at a time

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Starting fresh

Starting a new year gives us the excuse to wipe the slate clean, to start over, to begin again!  Given such an opportunity, many people decide to take on huge challenges.  The top 10 resolutions that people make are:
  1. Lose weight
  2. Get out of debt
  3. Quit smoking
  4. Get fit
  5. Spend more time with family and friends
  6. Enjoy life more
  7. Quit drinking
  8. Learn something new
  9. Help others
  10. Get organized
Quitting smoking and losing weight make it into the top 3 resolutions that people make!  One of these I have managed to do successfully now for 18 years, and one, well . . . not so much . . . so I know from experience that either of these is like trying to quit breathing!  They are a huge, HUGE undertaking and I give all you people who are trying to do either of these things kudos and encouragement!!  One second at a time, right?!  Don't look too far down the road or you will panic and reach for your nemesis!  Just relax and lean into it!  You're doing great!

For all of you who are taking on equally huge challenges, keep up the great work!  Remember you are doing this for many reasons and one of the main ones is that you are doing this for YOU!!

For myself, I have decided that I need to exercise more, and on a regular basis.  I also need to start eating a more healthy and local diet.  In taking on these two things I hope that I will lose some weight!  As some of you know, depression kept me prisoner for over 10 years, and I self medicated with food.  Those old habits die hard!  But now with depression a part of my past, and a wonderful new year poised in front of me, I feel empowered.  During my illness I looked to others for strength and solutions.  Now, my strength has returned, my head is screwed on straight and I feel I am in control and can actually handle whatever comes my way!  What a liberating and invigorating feeling!  So now that I am ready to take on the world in my mind, I have to get my body ready as well.

I will check back with you over the next year to fill you in on my follow through and progress!  I love starting fresh!

No comments:

Post a Comment